The Mustang Times

Ocean Blue

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ocean Blue

Elsie Byrd, staff writer and photographer

“Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.- Christian D. Larson”

I sat on the sand, the sun kissing my skin. The water teased my toes, as it swayed back and forth. I wonder what a life would be like, without the stress, without the drama, without the judgement. I shut my eyes, allowing the summer breeze to tickle my face, and the clashing sound of waves drown out my ears. I dream of a place so free, and so full of love. A place where flaws only made you more attractive; and place where others would not define you.

I feared the end of the weekend, being thrown back into the routine of discomfort. Being forced in a place where I don’t belong, where it is so lonesome. Back to being the one to say hi first, a place where no one seems to care unless you make it a point for them too. On the outside, oh, how things seem so simple. Wishing one, just one person, would see your doubts. People say that they are a third wheel, when in reality you’re their last choice. People suddenly becoming friends with you as soon as theirs are not around. Notice me, for me. Staring out, my red, wet eyes glistened, a tear streaming down my face. All these words so powerful, but have no effect. Taking one last, sweet moment on the beach, I wonder if these words were spoken for my sister, if she would still be by my side. Instead she lays on the fluffiest cloud, in my sky. Whispering unspoken words, until the day I die, together once more.

Authors note: Although this story is fiction, depression and anxiety resulting in suicide is a serious matter. If you feel suicidal, please talk to someone or call the suicide prevention hotline. Every life is important and valuable! https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/  or https://www.google.com/search?q=suicide+prevention+hotline&rlz=1CADEAC_enUS811&oq=suicide+prevention+hotline&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l5.1635j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

About the Writer
Elsie Byrd, staff writer

Elsie is a 11th grader in her first year of newspaper.  "Why fit in when you were born to stand out."-Dr.Seuss