Do the SOL tests cause stress?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Do the SOL tests cause stress?

Cassidy Snider studying for her science SOL.

Sierra Pennington

Sierra Pennington

Sierra Pennington

Sierra Pennington, Staff Writer

According to a Kids’ Health article on test anxiety, if you get nervous, freeze up, blank out, or even zone out, then you are likely to have test anxiety.  But for some kids the pressure is more intense. Sometimes students completely forget and lose concentration. Test anxiety is considered a type of performance anxiety.

Kids health also reports anxiety actually does cause side-effects. It can cause butterflies, stomachache, and tension headache. But there are worse cases where people feel shaky, sweaty, or their heart beats quickly. Some people can also pass out or throw up!

With test anxiety being such an issue, how do EMHS students feel about all of their SOL tests?   When asked about her biggest fear taking her SOLs this semester, Katelyn Vaught replied, “I hate waiting to see my score.  I don’t want to have to take the class again.”  Marcus Blue expressed the frustration that he often feels during SOL testing time, “My biggest fear is failing and becoming mad.”

Most students likely agree that SOLs add to stress. Sierra Hooker identifies with the stress of SOLs, “Yes SOLs cause stress, especially the pressure to have to rush and finish before the end of a certain time period.”  As a freshman, Katelyn Vaught felt pressure with her science and history SOLs, “Yes it stresses me out, and there is great pressure.”

Teenagers today actually have a lot of pressure when it comes to passing tests, not just SOLs but any test. There are a lot of kids today who can do great in class, but when it comes time to take that test, they tend to freeze up or question themselves. I am one of those teens. I have a really hard time taking tests. I do great in my classes, I usually make all A’s or at least A’s and B’s.On test days, my mind tends to go blank. My memory of it will eventually come back, but by then I am ready to just get the test over with. Thankfully, my SOLs are over and I survived.  In the future, it would be helpful to find ways to ease stress many students feel during this time of the year.